"Issues Knowledge Base", a better place to show common issues [Proposal and call for (little) help]

Darío Andrés andresbajotierra at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 22:32:21 GMT 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi at kde.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 04:28:24PM -0300, Darío Andrés Rodríguez wrote:
>> And if you hate the whole idea there is an alternative using bugzilla:
>>
>> - Create a "commonPopularImportant" (or something like that) keyword...
>>
> +1
> add frequent to the mix. noteworthy or notable sound good, too. :)

I though about "IKB", as it fits the real purpose of all this idea...
but I'm not sure if people will understand it on other contexts.

>> - Clean the summaries of those bug reports... (to be concise and
>> self-explanatory enough)
>>
> i think it would be simpler to just fork off *yet* another duplicate
> with clean information. this would also solve the problem of spamming
> all the reporters if only a textual backlink is added to the description
> instead of linking with the actual "master report" - though i find the
> idea kinda questionable.

Creating a new clean report will also have another benefit: you could
link to several bug reports at the same time.
(same root cause, same fix, different backtraces spread in different reports)

I was also thinking this new clean report could use the "Depends on"
feature to link to the reports..., however I don't remember if that
option notify all the other reporters in the CC list of the bug
report...

>> - Add some custom field to show the affected and fixed versions..
>> (extend bugzilla)
>>
> +1
> the bugmail processor should be also made smart enough to auto-set the
> fix version from BUGged commit messages. that would involve getting the
> branch from the subject of the mail (which, btw, should be pasted into
> the bug instead of being discarded) and having a release schedule table
> in bugzilla itself.

Actually, Matt R. already implemented a "Version Fixed In" custom
string field which can be now freely used. It would be smart to detect
fix automatically, but that could be in a future ToDo..
I was planning to only use that feature in those IKB "common" reports...

Thanks for the feedback!
Regards