state of gitorious talks

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Mar 10 15:01:04 GMT 2010

On Monday 08 March 2010 13:17:07 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>   Am Freitag, 5. März 2010 12:44:51 schrieb Frank Karlitschek:
> > A plan B could be to host a gitorious installation on our own servers.
> >
> > It is not clear at the moment if we will migrate to gitorious.org or go
> > with a different solution.
> >
> > If somebody plans to migrate some software to gitorious.org I suggest to
> > wait a bit till it is clear if we go with plan A or plan B.
>
> What about taking the right step and allowing several servers, so each can
> pick the server of their liking? This would isolate KDE technologies from
> single repository failures and it would be more in line of distributes
> SCMs.

This is actually possible with Git, at least for cloning and downloading changesets
(which is probably way more often than people commit).

> Personally I would go one step further and recognise that the time of a
> single  SCM for the while KDE SC is over and we must even allow different
> (free software) products to be used for the source code repositories.

I doubt that heavily. And even if you were right, we'd risk making a total mess of
our primary core infrastructure and that's not something we can easily play with. We
need a coherent and clear way to download (and upload) KDE source code, multiple
VCS'en are not going to help that.

Let's not start *yet_another* git vs. something else thread, until we've made a
little headway on this issue though.
--
sebas