state of gitorious talks

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Mar 8 14:32:47 GMT 2010

Hi Bernhard,

Lundi, le 8 mars 2010, à 13:17, Bernhard Reiter a écrit:
> Am Freitag, 5. März 2010 12:44:51 schrieb Frank Karlitschek:
> > A plan B could be to host a gitorious installation on our own servers.
> >
> > It is not clear at the moment if we will migrate to gitorious.org or go
> > with a different solution.
> >
> > If somebody plans to migrate some software to gitorious.org I suggest to
> > wait a bit till it is clear if we go with plan A or plan B.
>
> What about taking the right step and allowing several servers, so each can
> pick the server of their liking? This would isolate KDE technologies from
> single repository failures and it would be more in line of distributes
>  SCMs.

"single repository failures" have not been a real problem in the last years
AFAIK. I hope this won't change with git.
And we should not follow the line of whatever technology, but make the
technology follow our line of how we want to work, no? ;)

> Personally I would go one step further and recognise that the time of a
>  single SCM for the while KDE SC is over and we must even allow different
>  (free software) products to be used for the source code repositories.

You obviously miss the experience of having developed your software inside the
KDE repository, do you? :)

If you had you would have experienced many commits from Laurent, Albert and
others who either added a new feature/improvement to kdelibs and made sure all
apps make use of it or saw a common programming mistake and went to fix it in
all places, SC or extragear (even possibly playground), thanks also to
lxr.kde.org. I doubt they would also do this if they would have to hunt down
many different repositories. I wouldn't (and have also done some repository-
wide fixes/changes so far).

Besides, a key success factor of KDE is integration (monolithic self-centric
apps, get lost!). Integration needs co-development. While component
technologies like KParts may not have their prime time in KDE 4 again,
hopefully soon they do. The (not yet completed) integration of Okteta in
KDevelop for example would have been more complicated, if I would have had to
work with three different repository systems (kdelibs/Kate, Okteta, KDevelop).

Cheers
Friedrich
--
KDE Okteta - a simple hex editor - http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta