Git Migration Needs YOU!

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Wed Mar 3 09:04:06 GMT 2010

On 03/03/2010 09:53 AM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> reviewboard.kde.org is like a Merge Request to me.

Pretty much, yeah, except that Merge Requests have the
advantage of tighter coupling with the SCM.

If you file one and I want to test your proposed change-
set I am a few git commands away from getting it into
my local clone to take it for a test drive, and if it
looks good and works well it's another command to push
it into the public repo. Collaborating with others in
this fashion is what DSCMs excell at; the process is
just overall a bit smoother and more hassle-free than
via ReviewBoard.

Anyway, what I meant with "we don't have MRs with SVN"
is that even if we didn't stand to gain MRs with the
migration because we disabled them, we wouldn't somehow
lose something we used to have with SVN - because even
with MRs disabled on Gitorious, we'd still have Review-
Board for now.

But that was meant as an argument on principle: The
current lack of email notifications is annoying, but
I don't honestly thing it's a cause to disable MRs (or
a migration blocker).

And so since we do gain MRs with Gitorious, we could
eventually simplify our services landscape by shutting
down ReviewBoard as redundant.

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein