Git Migration Needs YOU!

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.org
Wed Mar 3 03:17:56 GMT 2010

Le mardi 2 mars 2010, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> [..] many kde
> developers are already participating in kde development using svn-git
> bridging tools.

It doesn't mean they want more of it though.

I've been developing kdelibs for 2 years with git-svn and I found this
combination much better than either git or svn alone (so don't even talk about
git + some privately owned weird centralizing web site!)

I have the 'power user' features of git that I need, yet simple things are
still simple for *everyone*, and there is a unique, undisputed central
repository to avoid fragmentation.

Moving to (git + http site) means skyrocketing barrier to entry, unhealthy
dependency relationship with a private company's web site, push for everyone
to do its own cooking without any regard for the project as a whole.

With a 2 year experience in git-svn, I found I'm still using aspects of svn
daily such as the nice, natural, recursive nature of svn commands that allow
easy containment of work inside a subdirectory (try bissecting a change in
kio/kio/* with git and you'll understand what pain is), I enjoy the simplicity
of being able to refer to commits by tossing a six figures number between two
parenthesis in the flow of a mail. I love to be able to grab the latest
changes just within the subdirectory I'm working in or within a specific file,
without having to awkwardly 'stash' my changes or use esoteric commands.

Everything in svn is so much easier for the beginner. There is no hard concept
to grasp, it is straightforward.

Maybe (git + a weird website) can be better for standalone applications.
For a full framework and a set of core libraries of our magnitude, that
critically needs consistency, integration and new contributors, it doesn't
look even remotely demonstrable.

Germain