Git Migration Needs YOU!

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Mar 2 23:00:46 GMT 2010

Em Terça-feira 2. Março 2010, às 23.43.34, Aaron J. Seigo escreveu:
> > Also the part about the recurse-action is empty as I don't understand
> > what this is meant for/how it works. I've asked on kde-scm-interest on
> > Sunday, but got no answer thus far.
>
> hm.. hopefully someone in-the-know (thiago? :) can weigh in on this.

The recurse action is a hack to tell svn2git to recurse into a directory it
has just copied or that existed, because it's interesting.

Quick example:

We're importing kdelibs, so it exists in
	trunk/KDE/kdelibs

At branching, someone did:
	svn cp $SVNROOT/trunk/KDE $SVNROOT/branches/KDE/4.4

SVN recorded in that commit that branches/KDE/4.4 was the only path changed.
That means the rule branches/KDE/[^/]+/kdelibs/ will not match.

We need to tell the tool that something interesting happened inside and it
should recurse. Then it will apply again all rules to the files that exist at
that point, at which point the rules will match.

Could this have been better? Yes, but svn2git was never meant to be an easy
tool. It was supposed to be used for the KDE import and then forgotten.
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358