Git Migration Needs YOU!

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 2 15:37:54 GMT 2010

On March 2, 2010, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Monday 01 March 2010 11:23:57 pm Chani wrote:
> > But wouldn't it be lovely if we could all be using git when 4.5 is
> > released?
>
> I'm not so sure. I'd (personally) prefer to stick with svn. There are a lot
> of translators - have they all agreed to change their tools?

there will be no change to the translation work flow. maaaybe in the future,
but that will be up to the translation community.

> Who decided we should all be using git? The people who want git are all on
> some -scm mailing list, but is that most KDE developers?

no, they aren't all on the scm mailing list. many who want git are nowhere
near that list.  as for who decided, while there are certainly those who
aren't in favor of a move to git, it's pretty clear there is a good amount of
consensus on the matter.

not only are more and more projects moving on their own, but many kde
developers are already participating in kde development using svn-git bridging
tools.

this was discuss at Akademy in the past as well.

to be perfectly frank, this part of the discussion is over. as is the part
about how we will split up the main modules (we won't). we're at the point
that we need to simply recognize that there's commitment to this and then help
each other do it Right(tm).

> [I haven't been much of a contributor lately, but I'm probably not the only
> one who isn't quite ready for this change.]

which is why we need to document the hell out of this. there is a good start
on techbase here:

	http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git

but it needs more work and more hands on it.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se