Git Migration Needs YOU!

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 02:24:57 GMT 2010

On March 1, 2010 12:54:34 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On March 1, 2010, Chani wrote:
> > -we have six blockers listed on the techbase page[1]. One is between the
> > board and Shortcut (the company behind gitorious.org), two will require
> > co-operation from Shortcut after our part is done, and the remaining
> > three are entirely KDE's responsibility.
>
> 2.3 Script for downloading virtual KDE hierarchies: doesn't look like a
> blocker (and even looks like it duplicates some effort with kdesvn-build)

yes, it was badly specified with more enthusiasm than planning, and we've been
quietly ignoring it for a while now. :/ I was planning to bring that up at the
next meeting: either remove it from the wiki and say "use kdesvn-build", or
get someone to just go and write a computer-readable list of repos and see if
anyone starts using it. (I think the former makes the most sense at this point
- who besides you and me actually wants that list? I'll probably just make my
scripts use scripty's repo list anyways)

> 2.4 Push log: a nice to have, but not a blocker afaics

it's an accountability thing... although if we self-hosted it'd be another
nonissue afaik.

> 2.5 pre-receive hooks: if we self host, easy to solve. if we go with
> gitorious.org, is it really a blocker?

probably not? I guess someone committing something with bad encoding or
windows line endings isn't the end of the world. :)

> 2.6 Get rid of svn:externals: i'd like to ask that these not be considered
> blockers and are instead removed in svn immediately even at the cost of
> features if need be. there are only two in blocker positions and i'll try
> to get to the one in kdebase today. kget should simply have the svn
> external removed and that code disabled until they figure it out.

+1

> > -one of the blocker tasks is, uh, rather large. humongous, in fact. we
> > could really, *really* use more volunteers for the svn2git rules.
>
> yes, this is the key issue, isn't it?
>
> here's the problem though: it is documented sufficiently.

yep. :/

> > (exception: there's a few things at the bottom, folders I don't think
> > anyone realised were in svn at all, so I don't have any record of what to
> > do with them)
>
> must move:
> 	kde-common
> 	quality
> 	tests
>
> let it die unless someone steps up unexpectedly:
> 	kdenox
> 	kdesecurity
> 	konstruct

cool. have you updated the wiki to reflect that, or should I?

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com