kcm_tablet - KDE Wacom tablet management

Christoph Feck christoph at maxiom.de
Mon Mar 1 23:58:23 GMT 2010

On Monday 01 March 2010 18:45:52 Jörg Ehrichs wrote:
> Any tablet supported by the Wacom Linux driver can be managed by this
> module.

I have not tried the new version yet (maybe you remember me with the Tablet
PC detection problems :) but I am all for having it in KDE. Maybe it is even
possible to combine gesture recognitition with touch screen setup, so that we
are not forced to use Apples patented gestures, but allow the user to freely
define them.

> Any comments on this, or can I start to move this into kdereview?

There are fairly big changes coming to Wacom support in xorg, namely the
linuxwacom project will die, and xorg will get its own driver. As long as you
are willing to maintain it at least until the transition is made, I see no
problem having it in KDE.

Since this is a tool with limited user base, it should be possible to
optionally build and install it (probably mostly packaging foo).

A single issue strikes me: the images folder. I am not sure if is needed to
have images of all the different tablets. The folder adds a lot space to the
package size. Either the one the user has connected is supported, or it is
not. Simply showing the Oxygen tablet icon is enough IMHO. And what is the
source/legal status of the images?

Christoph Feck (kdepepo)