RFC: move kdebase/runtime/kstyles to kdebase/workspace/kstyles/, small change in how default style is handled

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Mar 1 22:24:56 GMT 2010

hi ...

while looking into the issue of the svn extern in kdebase, it occurred to me
that having the oxygen widget style in runtime is perhaps a bit odd.

oxygen is really part of our "native KDE" look and feel.

on non-KDE workspaces, KDE apps should try and use the native defaults. they
already do so on non-x11 platforms by default, though on x11 KStyle always
defaults to "oxygen"; this results in it falling back to whatever
QStyleFactory::keys().first() is, unless otherwise set.

while oxygen is referenced as the default style in kdelibs, the code handles
it not being there gracefully, but i'd like to suggest a change: on x11 if we
don't have our default style available to us then we try to use the gtk+ style
first (most likely next candidate) and then move on to the "randomly select a
style" approach. see the attached patch.

moving kstyles to kdebase-workspace would also very neatly solve the issue of
the svn external as both pieces of code using that svn extern would then be in
the same module. :)

thoughts?

--
Aaron J. Seigo