Git Migration Needs YOU!

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Mar 1 22:24:56 GMT 2010

On 01.03.10 12:54:34, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On March 1, 2010, Chani wrote:
> > -one of the blocker tasks is, uh, rather large. humongous, in fact. we
> > could really, *really* use more volunteers for the svn2git rules.
>
> yes, this is the key issue, isn't it?
>
> here's the problem though: it is documented sufficiently.

I guess you mean in-sufficiently here.

> there are wiki pages on gitorious.org that are not linked to anywhere, there
> is next to no information about how long it will take, what i should be
> looking for to know i've ahieved success (and what "success" is). essentially,
> i have no way of knowing how to get started, how to target a specific module
> or how to know i've done something useful.
>
> this must be fixed ASAFP. can someone who has done one of the other modules
> please document the process completely and thoroughly on techbase (NOT
> gitorious.org!) so that others can help out?

Any suggestions where to put or structure it? I'd gladly share the bits
I've learned the last days writing kdevelop rules, but I'm rather bad at
formatting that stuff (heading and bullet-lists is about all I can do).

> > -the svn2git progress chart is also a map of what git repos will be
> > created. how to split things up has been debated many times and the exact
> > same conclusion was always reached, so let's not start that again.
>
> right, that particular conversation is _over_ and there is no point in going
> over it again. the result MUST be documented on techbase and further
> bikeshedding simply shutdown.

Too bad its incomplete and has couple of question-marks. Especially for
anything outside of the core-modules. For extragear it says "lets figure
this out later, core modules are more important", for playground
everybody seems to be saying that the authors should do it themselves.

Which is fine, but then those people should be allowed to move anytime
they want as they don't seem to be seen as part of the "big move"
anyway.

--
Don't you feel more like you do now than you did when you came in?