RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Jul 29 12:59:43 BST 2010

On Wednesday 28 of July 2010, John Layt wrote:
> Doesn't Ubuntu / Kubuntu have a
> script that goes and gets codecs and libdvdcss when you first need them?
> If Canonical is distributing such software then they must have legal advice
> that it is OK.

 I think the trick here is that with law there is nothing that is "ok", it's
at most "ok enough". I don't know what Kubuntu does, but if it does this,
then I assume the difference is that Canonical is legally based in a saner
place where they consider "ok enough" things about which US-based Novell's
lawyers would freak out.

 Anyway, I think there's not much point in continuing this part of discussion.
This is only a small part of the proposed functionality, we apparently have
no lawyers taking part in this discussion, Amarok already has such support
anyway and ultimately it will be up to Amarok (Kaffeine,...) developers to
make the decision to use or not use the functionality (in which case some
distros will likely patch it themselves anyway).

--
 Lubos Lunak
 openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer
 l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org