RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 23:07:50 BST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Martin Gräßlin
<kde at martin-graesslin.com> wrote:

>> This won't work for say, libdvdcss, which
> is also the most serious target
>> (DMCA violating as it is).
>> And I guess
> lawyers could point to your first mail here to show what intent
>> we had
> with this functionality…
> I assume we could check the locale settings and
> e.g. not offer to install libdvdcss in the U.S. but only in countries where

that really, is a problem of the distribution, we would just offer
what the distribution does.
I don't know the situation as well if providing an easier way to
install what is already provided would be legal or not.
but at this point the package manager itself (and again kde too if it
provides a gui to it) could be liable to allow at all the installation
of such software.
so i don't think is really something we have to worry unless some real
lawyer says the contrary.

and i'm quite in favor of the Lubos proposal :)

Cheers,
Marco Martin