RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 22:08:34 BST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Martin Sandsmark
<martin.sandsmark at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:50:13PM +0200, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
>> No, I said we should not ask at all and just install software from trusted
>> sources. So no dialog to enter passwords (wouldn't work anyway as in my
>> example my mother does not know her password)
>
> Sorry, this makes more sense indeed. I'm not sure automated, silent
> installations are very popular though (considering the outcry when Fedora
> attempted it).

I don't think it would be silent, either.  I think it would tell the
user what is being installed, perhaps with the above-mentioned
legality warning, and have one button to allow the installation and
one to refuse it.  I suppose there could also be a way for the user to
get more information, like exactly what capabilities would be added.

-Todd