RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Wed Jul 28 21:50:13 BST 2010

2010 at 10:29:15PM +0200, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > My mother does not know
how to open the package manager, does not know
> > what a package manager is
and has no idea what codecs are and what KDE
> > is. But she wants to listen
to music. With the idea Lubos proposed she
> > would be able to listen to
music, with your idea, she wouldn't.

> The best solution for your mother
would have been to use a distribution
> that doesn't lobotomize their
multimedia packages.
Such a distribution exists? I only know distributions
facing the same legal issues...

> Or have whoever installed the
distribution for her to install the
> necessary packages when setting up the
system.
Right, because we live in a perfect world where everyone is without
fault.

> > But if I understand the proposed idea correctly distributions
aiming for
> > users could provide the easy way, while distributions aiming
for
> > experienced users could just say "install package".
>
> … And train
these unexperienced users to uncritically click through and
> enter their
passwords into dialogs that pop up. Which is even worse than
> if we did the
same with experienced users, IMHO.
No, I said we should not ask at all and
just install software from trusted sources. So no dialog to enter passwords
(wouldn't work anyway as in my example my mother does not know her
password)