RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

Martin Sandsmark martin.sandsmark at kde.org
Wed Jul 28 21:40:16 BST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:29:15PM +0200, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> My mother does not know how to open the package manager, does not know what
> a package manager is and has no idea what codecs are and what KDE is. But
> she wants to listen to music. With the idea Lubos proposed she would be
> able to listen to music, with your idea, she wouldn't.

The best solution for your mother would have been to use a distribution that
doesn't lobotomize their multimedia packages.

Or have whoever installed the distribution for her to install the
necessary packages when setting up the system.

> But if I understand the proposed idea correctly distributions aiming for
> users could provide the easy way, while distributions aiming for
> experienced users could just say "install package".

… And train these unexperienced users to uncritically click through and enter
their passwords into dialogs that pop up. Which is even worse than if we did
the same with experienced users, IMHO.

--
Martin Sandsmark
IT-Komiteen, Samfundet