RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Jul 28 21:38:23 BST 2010

On Wednesday 28 July 2010, Martin Sandsmark wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:10:22PM +0200, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > There is an easy way to fix that problem. Fedora illustrated it, but
> > had to revert: don't ask for the password if you want to install from a
> > trusted repository. This is a perfect example why Fedora was right on it.
> > We all see that we need and want that functionality and we are discussing
> > to not do it, because it could be used by $BADGUY to trick $STUPIDUSER in
> > typing their password in $WINDOW. So if we minimize the cases where the
> > password is entered, the risk decreases. But that's quite off-topic to
> > the discussion, hmm thinking about it, protecting stupid users from being
> > stupid is also offtopic.
>
> I disagree that it was the easiest and best solution. The easiest and best
> solution is to simply tell the user what is missing, and ask him to
> manually install it through the normal package manager ('Please install
> "Extra codecs for KDE" to play these files.').

Would this mean e.g. for SUSE that it would then open yast, with the
install-software page already opened, and maybe the appropriate keyword
already entered in the search field ?
I think I would like that. It would just automatically lead me to that what I
would do otherwise. And no hidden things.

Or should it more automatically install something ?

Alex