Opposition to removing old KWin themes?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jul 26 22:38:55 BST 2010

On July 23, 2010, Aaron Peterson wrote:
> It's not broken. Why make it more complex?

because it presents a very poor face to people using KDE and going in to
configure things when they are presented with mostly ugly decorations and a
few nice ones scattered amongst them. it says, "most of the art and look &
feel sucks!"

now, should we have one or two nice, simple window decoration? yes. and we
have them: Web, Plastik.

should we hae one or two nice, simple widget themes? yes. and we have them
too.

do we need half a dozen ugly window decos and widget themes? not really,
especially not at the expense of reputation and perceived quality.

your needs will still be met: there will be nice simple themes left. but we
need to prioritize here, and that priority does not include "shoving every
piece of visual crap we have carried for the last 15 years into the defaults".

it is, however, free software and the configuration options are still there in
the config files. you could easily write a "make it old school" type config
app, for instance.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se