Opposition to removing old KWin themes?

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 21:12:16 BST 2010

On Thursday 22 July 2010, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2010-07-22, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > A Dijous, 22 de juliol de 2010, Hugo Pereira Da Costa va escriure:

> >> On the similar note, I'd also remove some of the old Widget themes (CDE,
> >> Motif, Window 9x)
> >
> > If there is no reason other than "the code works so noone touched it", I
> > oppose, I don't think they add too much clutter and i'm sure someone is
> > using them.
>
> Especially for network forwarding of things. It is cheaper network wise
> to tranport the big ugly gray buttons of the old themes than transport
> the beautiful gradients of oxygen.

there could be either a flat mode in oxygen (already is, can be configured)
or -one- of the old ones can be left in place.
but right now, the -real- motivation is simply this:
shipping something that looks outdated like that gives a really bad image of
kde.
I'm sure somebody uses it, but just ask ourselves what steps are necessary to
give it an as stainless as possible idea of elegance...

Cheers,
Marco Martin