Opposition to removing old KWin themes?

Hugo Pereira Da Costa hugo at oxygen-icons.org
Sun Jul 25 23:27:41 BST 2010

On Sunday 25 July 2010 12:14:43 nuno pinheiro wrote:
> On Sunday 25 July 2010 14:09:38 Aaron Peterson wrote:
> > Do we have user data on this, I mean where they are in a realistic
> > environment using it on a slow computer (because they are too poor to
> > pay for windows?)
>
> I have extreme serious doubts that the kwin themes make any visible cpu
> difference, calculating a gradient with qt is negligible work load for your
> cpu,
> the only kwin theme that is a bit more expensive is Aurorae but I would
> really be surprised if that would be more than negligible.

Well, whether gradients make a difference or not I don't know.
What's sure though is that animations do, cause they trigger many more
repaints (updates) than without them. (by construction).

Also caching (to speed up painting) takes more memory (this has been a problem
already due to some Graphic Card's driver way of handling pixmaps).

Naturally, you can disable animations, but that requires special handling from
user. (e.g. opening dialogs that some of them don't even know they exist).
This to say, I do believe that at least one minimalistic (but nice looking +
maintained) is necessary.

Hugo