NetAccess::statInternal and showing job progress

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Jul 22 19:49:14 BST 2010

On Thursday 22 July 2010, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Thu July 22 2010 10:17:41 David Faure wrote:

> > > erm, but this wasn't about save, it was about stat :)
> >
> > ... which is usually done just before saving, to warn in case you're
> > about to overwrite an existing file.
>
> Still, "I'm checking if there's a file I'd be overwriting" is not something
> that the user needs to know. We might need feedback somewhere, but that
> should be "saving your file now" (and covering the complete process:
> stat'ing, transferring and saving), anything with finer granularity is not
> useful IMO. Likely, as Save is often fire and forget, we'd only need a
> warning if the file wasn't saved in the end, maybe a confirmation that the
> file is now on disk and you can happily pull the cable, or whatever.

I totally agree. However this means making a composite KJob that takes care of
both checking and writing, and showing progress info for that kjob.

It does NOT mean hiding the progress info during a NetAccess::stat and leaving
it at that.

-> yet another reason to use proper jobs rather than netaccess.