NetAccess::statInternal and showing job progress

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jul 22 19:04:36 BST 2010

On Thu July 22 2010 10:17:41 David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 July 2010, Chani wrote:

> > > Again, if it takes <1s, then yes, I agree that they don't need to care.
> > > But if it takes 10 minutes because the server isn't responding, and
> > > meanwhile (without any kind of progress info) they don't know if the
> > > image got saved or not, then this would be a very severe bug, leading
> > > to data loss, potentially (you think a file exists, and it does not).
> >
> > erm, but this wasn't about save, it was about stat :)
>
> ... which is usually done just before saving, to warn in case you're about
> to overwrite an existing file.

Still, "I'm checking if there's a file I'd be overwriting" is not something
that the user needs to know. We might need feedback somewhere, but that should
be "saving your file now" (and covering the complete process: stat'ing,
transferring and saving), anything with finer granularity is not useful IMO.
Likely, as Save is often fire and forget, we'd only need a warning if the file
wasn't saved in the end, maybe a confirmation that the file is now on disk and
you can happily pull the cable, or whatever.
--
sebas