KLocale host system integration

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 18 22:20:56 BST 2010

Hi,

One topic I didn't get around to at Akademy was the situation with KDE not
respecting the host system locale settings, so I'm spending the next couple of
weeks working on KLocale to set up the infrastructure to to make this work
properly.

The general concept is:
* When running under Win or Mac we should always use the host locale
settings/services and ignore the KDE default and user settings, except where
the host doesn't have an equivalent.  The user will be unable to override the
host settings in the kcm, only the KDE unique settings.
* When running under *nix and a KDE desktop we will continue to use the KDE
default and user settings/services as currently.
* When running under *nix but not a KDE desktop (Gnome/XFCE, etc) we should
use the host locale settings/services as the default values (i.e. the POSIX
locale files), but still allow the user to override all settings in KDE apps
(as e.g. Gnome doesn't allow customization).  This is a lower priority for
now.

The finer points are open to debate/revision, e.g. should we eventually switch
even KDE desktop defaults to the POSIX ones where they exist and are
appropriate?

My first step, making KLocale a fully private implementation and creating
derived Windows/Mac locale classes is posted for review at
http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/4683/ .

The next step will be to default the KDE country to the host system country so
most users on all platforms will never need to visit the kcm and change any
settings. The correct KDE default settings will almost always be picked up and
be an acceptable substitute until the host system settings are actually used.

After that I will re-write the kcm to have a .ui based gui which disables
options based on a config file, and improved usability so it's obvious where
the user has over-ridden the default locale settings and make it easy to
revert individual settings to the locale.  It will also improve handling the
country setting, especially where the user has overridden the host system
default.

Once those steps are in place we can progressively migrate each settings group
on each platform with hopefully the minimum problems.

Cheers!

John.