Inclusion of simon in kde-accessibility

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Jul 18 21:55:54 BST 2010

A Diumenge, 18 de juliol de 2010, Peter Grasch va escriure:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Peter Grasch and I am the main developer behind the open source
> speech recognition project simon. simon is mainly targeted towards the
> physically handicapped and can be used with any language or dialect. It can
> be used to control your computer to launch applications, load URLs, type
> with the use of a speech controlled on screen keyboard and more.
>
> Article on the dot:
> http://dot.kde.org/2009/08/22/simon-speech-activated-user-interface-kde
> Homepage: http://simon-listens.org/index.php?id=122&L=1
> Sourceforge page: http://sf.net/projects/speech2text
> KDE Apps: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=73815
>
> I attended this years Akademy in Tampere where I gave a talk about simon
> (http://akademy.kde.org/program/conference#sunday, 16:00 - 16:30, Room 1).
>
> During an interview in Demola with Troy Unrau he asked me how I would feel
> about simon being included in KDE. So after talking to Dirk Mueller, Gunnar
> Schmidt and Jeremy Whiting this is my formal letter to apply for inclusion
> of simon in the KDE Accessibility module.
>
> I don't yet have a KDE SVN account and our software was not developed in
> playground which is why our current code can be found in the following git
> repository:
> git://speech2text.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/speech2text/speech2text
>
> If I were to be accepted I would prefer to directly move to the new KDE git
> repository directly (or stay at sourceforge until it is ready) instead of
> moving back to SVN only to convert back to git later if this is at all
> possible.

If you want to move to KDE core modules you give up any kind of power on that
kind of decision, your code will be moved were KDE decides, not where you
decide, of course you can choose not to be on KDE core modules until KDE code
modules are on git, that's totally your decision though a short sigthed one in
my opinion.

> Two small issues that I hope won't be too big of a problem:
>
> 1. The handbook has not yet been updated from 0.2 to 0.3 so at the moment
> it contains some outdated information. This is something I am working on,
> tough.
>
> 2. Our git repository also contains a fork of Julius because the upstream
> version is not building dynamic libraries and has some bugs that we fixed
> in our fork. This has all been reported to the Julius maintainer but he
> has yet to act on it (first patch was sent in 2008). As I don't want to
> diverge too much from upstream (I update the fork from time to time) I
> din't fix any of the issues in Juliuses code reported by Krazy.

I am personally more concerned about the dependency it has (or had?) on non
free software, can you comment on that?

Thanks,
  Albert