seeking mentor. More columns in Dolphin,

Nikhil Marathe nsm.nikhil at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 10:13:09 BST 2010

On 07/13/2010 03:03 AM, Aaron Peterson wrote:
> Hiya,
>
>  I am seeking a mentor to help me get into kde development.
>
> I am very excited as I now have a 4.5 branch development environment
> partially set up, and I read a few C++ tutorials, followed a QT
> tutorial... and have been browsing websvn.
>
> I would like to be able to add columns to dolphin's details view.

Hey Aaron, Nice to see your interest. Just one important thing before
you start hacking. You mention that you have the 4.5 branch. All
development takes place in *trunk/* ( http://websvn.kde.org/trunk ),
NOT the 4.5 branch, so you will have to set up a development
environment using the svn checkouts of trunk (kdelibs and base etc.)
if you want to contribute code to KDE, the way you want to do with
Dolphin. Branch checkouts are good only for bug-fixes and the like. A
feature addition like this should go in trunk. This will need
recompiling of the code, but the rest of the stuff doesn't change.

Cheers,
Nikhil