[Kde-accessibility] focus tracking

PiƱeiro apinheiro at igalia.com
Fri Jul 2 08:17:48 BST 2010

From: Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet at gmail.com>

>> In terms of "complete all this":  GS-mag supports another route for
>> controlling its settings, namely, GConf.  Furthermore, that part of the
>> code is in the process of being converted to GSettings [1].  The idea is
>> that by changing a user's session wide magnification preferences via
>> GSettings live-updates the magnifier's settings.  A concrete example is
>> setting the mouse tracking preference in Orca's magnifier when running
>> gs-mag.  In this case, Orca uses GConf to change the user's magnifier
>> mouse tracking desktop preferences.  GS-mag "hears" that change and
>> responds appropriately.
>
> Ok, thanks all for the responses. A couple of questions if you don't mind, to check I understand this properly:
> - AT-SPI does not have a way of tracking focus for magnification purposes?

AT-SPI provides a way of tracking focus in general. Not just for
magnification purposes.

> - So Gnome-Mag has developed an API for this, but it's currently CORBA based and thus needs changing

gnome-mag has developed an API so other apps can use it. Yes, the
current one is CORBA based, work in progress to migrate to DBUS. [1]

> - apps need to support this API for magnification to properly work

This is the reason it is being implemented in Orca, as it one of the
basic a11y tools in gnome, an it is already "talking" with AT-SPI.

> So, if this is the case, I wonder what the plans are? At the very least having a standard developed for apps based on D-BUS which can be implemented by eg OO.o and Qt and KDE apps too, would be nice. I wonder if it's possible to make this part of AT-SPI somehow?

I don't understand this paragraph sorry. What it is required to be
implemented by eg OO.o? What feature are you missing?

BR

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/GNOME3#gnome-mag_.28port_to_D-Bus.29

===
API (apinheiro at igalia.com)