Review Request: Add "Open With" actions to KFileDialog context menu [via KDirOperator]

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Jan 29 10:40:08 GMT 2010

On Friday 29 January 2010 00:31:41 Aaron Seigo wrote:
> > On 2010-01-28 20:44:45, David Faure wrote:
> > > One could wonder if the file dialog really needs to have "open with"
> > > menu items. After all this dialog is used to select a file (existing
> > > or to be created) for the current application, not for opening files
> > > into another application. It seems some users are starting to expect a
> > > mini-file-manager in there, which is not exactly what it is. Maybe the
> > > usability group could give their input about this.
>
> "One could wonder if the file dialog really needs to have "open with" menu
> items."
>
> agreed; what exactly are the use cases for this? right now, i don't see
> any.

I actually find myself quite often in this situation where I have that file dialog
open, and then go "Hm, this file I'd also need open". If it's another filetype, I
can't do that out of my current context and need to either get a real file manager or
open the application and browse to the same location again. I'm pretty sure it would
be useful to *me*.
--
sebas