KGlobalAccel notifications

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Thu Jan 28 14:00:56 GMT 2010

Michael Jansen wrote:

>> I think the danger with global shortcuts is when the user triggers them
>> unintentionally. In the case of KMix, having it associating global
>> shortcuts to volume up/down and mute keys should not surprise the user.
>> Same with a media player associating shortcuts to media keys.
>> It is less obvious when other applications start registering shortcuts
>> like shift+alt+h or ctrl+k,ctrl+u. In this case I would say it is up to
>> the application to ensure that the user can identify the origin of the
>> triggered action, for example by showing a time-limited notification.
>
> If you wait for the applications to do the right thing take some books. Just start kopete and press
> Ctrl-Shift-I. Nothing happens. But it is a global shortcut. They have a book and many complains but
> yet they decide to do nothing.

I can feel some frustration here :/. This is a Kopete bug, and I believe
the correct way to get it fixed is in Kopete. Maybe it is "just" a lack
of workforce? I remember blog posts looking for volunteers to work on
Kopete.

I just had a look at Kopete global shortcuts and from what I can see
they associate Ctrl+Shift+I to "Read Message" Ctrl+Shift+W to "Set
Away/Back" and Ctrl+Shift+S to "Show/Hide Contact List".
It looks indeed a bit "greedy" to use quite common combinations as
global shortcuts like this for actions where a global shortcut is
probably only needed by heavy Kopete users, who could probably define
their own global shortcuts to match their workflow (but I do not have
any number to back this up).

Aurélien