KGlobalAccel notifications

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Thu Jan 28 08:27:47 GMT 2010

Michael Jansen wrote:
> On Thursday 28 January 2010 01:35:22 Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
>> On 01/27/2010 05:11 PM, Shaun Reich wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Dan Meltzer
>>> <parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com <mailto:parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com>>
>>>
>>> wrote:
>>>     On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de
>>>
>>>     <mailto:mail at milianw.de>> wrote:
>>>     > On Wednesday 27 January 2010 23:46:34 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
>>>     >> Hi,
>>>     >>
>>>     >> I have been wondering for a while why KGlobalAccel shows
>>>
>>>     notifications
>>>
>>>     >> about registration of global shortcuts. This happens for
>>>
>>>     example when
>>>
>>>     >> one starts kmix for the first time. I find it quite odd as it
>>>
>>>     really
>>>
>>>     >> looks like tech-speak.
>>>
>>> I know, I always run into the same confusion. When it pops up saying
>>> "hey, an app registered a new global shortcut"  it doesn't even say
>>> what shortcut it is, to even make the notification useful. In my mind,
>>> it seems like one of those cases similar to how a messagebox can be
>>> overused, stating or asking something that the user does not even
>>> care/need to know about, and it just adds confusion.
>> +1
>
> Ok. Please ignore my other mail. I read the thread here after my first mail and it seems everyone
> agrees. I will deactivate the notification by default.
>
> ( For some reason i prefer to be informed if something registers a new global shortcut. )

Thanks Michael. As Shaun said, you probably care more about shortcuts
than the rest of us :)

Do you think this can be backported to 4.4?

> Configuration Option? I will have a look to see if it is possible to show the new shortcuts nicely.
> But especially with kmix that would be a long list.

I think the danger with global shortcuts is when the user triggers them
unintentionally. In the case of KMix, having it associating global
shortcuts to volume up/down and mute keys should not surprise the user.
Same with a media player associating shortcuts to media keys.
It is less obvious when other applications start registering shortcuts
like shift+alt+h or ctrl+k,ctrl+u. In this case I would say it is up to
the application to ensure that the user can identify the origin of the
triggered action, for example by showing a time-limited notification. In
fact this is quite similar to what KMix does when you adjust the volume.

Aurélien