Review Request: kio-file: sync file copy to /media/

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 05:11:53 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 26 January 2010 12:37:17 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Monday 25 January 2010 16:39:07 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > I disagree with the patch. Code that does copying should simply copy it.
> > It is the responsibility of whatever mounted the device to mount it
> > properly. The patch is just a kludge and I don't see why we should
> > intentionally make things worse for everybody just because somebody
> > doesn't know how to use a removable device.
>
> Actually, the results of Davide's testing suggests that the odds of
> corruption are way more likely that without it. With the sync option, it
> takes longer to cleanly unmount, hence the user has more time to screw up.
> The numbers look a bit fishy though.
>
> I completely agree that this is not something we should do in KDE, it's
> kernel stuff. Besides that, the hardcoded path is a completely no-go.

Yep. If at all Solid should be used, but ideally the kernel should try to flush
buffers to removable devices more eagerly than to built-in devices.
In the general case is actually tricky or impossible to determine which is
which. I've seen storage arrays built from harddisks connected via USB...
As long as this is not a very high priority problem my suggestion is: just
give up :/