[KDE Usability] Close button: reaaly close or go to system tray?

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Wed Jan 27 01:53:40 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 26 January 2010 09:38:29 Diego Moya wrote:
> 2010/1/26 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > I think this isue transcends the close button thing. At camp KDE a few
> > ppl discussed this: there is a category of applications, currently often
> > 'closing' to the systray, which is indeed more service lik than other
> > apps. A word processor or a webbrowser is supposed to be there while you
> > work with it and go when you no longer need it. However, music players,
> > chat applications and more (often social media stuff) is different: they
> > need to stay available in the background. The systray is a poor place
> > for such applications/services and another solution must be found for
> > this.
>
> I'm not sure media players fit in the "service" model. It surely
> doesn't for video players, which follow the "document" model - if I'm
> watching a movie or a tv stream, when I close it, it should go for
> good. Should audio-only really be different?

You can listen to audio and get the full experience, but you can't just listen
to a movie (without missing most of the point at least). If you want to watch
the movie you have it present, and close it when you no longer want to watch
it. When you click to close an audio player you /generally/ just want the
window to go away while still listening. Some people also want the taskbar
entry removed (like myself ;) As far as who wants what, that would require
actual studies to back up.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne