[KDE Usability] Close button: reaaly close or go to system tray?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jan 26 12:05:38 GMT 2010

On 26.01.10 11:53:40, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > > My perception has been the sys tray is for server/client apps. Whether a
> > > server/client consists of two distinct apps, or one divided into two parts,
> > > is irrelevant to the user because the user appears to invoke and close the
> > > client 'app', while the server 'app' continues running.
> > >
> > > The quit/close is therefore consistent when viewed from a server/client
> > > perspective, but not as stand-alone app.
> > >
> > > For example, we don't expect closing our client browser will also close the
> > > site server we're connected to. Similarly, closing amarok's 'client' should
> > > not close its 'server' in the sys tray. Imho, the problem is assuming we're
> > > only dealing with one app, rather than two.
> > >

> > If the user were to open two applications (i.e., click on two icons)
> > then I would accept that arguement. Seeing how the user clicks a
> > single Amarok icon, I disagree.
> I think this isue transcends the close button thing. At camp KDE a few
> ppl discussed this: there is a category of applications, currently often
> 'closing' to the systray, which is indeed more service lik than other
> apps. A word processor or a webbrowser is supposed to be there while you
> work with it and go when you no longer need it. However, music players,
> chat applications and more (often social media stuff) is different: they
> need to stay available in the background. The systray is a poor place for
> such applications/services and another solution must be found for this.
> For example, creating a special service plasmoid area; making these apps
> split back- and frontend and upon closing keep only the backend running;
> or have a kded or plasma dataengine or so take the place of the app's
> functionality. Compare having the 'news' plasma applet, and whenever you
> want more info you click the 'full app' button on the applet (new in
> plasma 4.4).
> Anyway. We won't sove it in this thread but i hope some developers
> interested in this issue will start thinking and experimenting. And you
> usability ppl might have iedeas too.

And what happens to poor souls like me who don't have a single plasmoid
anywhere (except for the digital clock in the panel)? I simply don't have
any empty space on my desktop to put a plasmoid there and having to hide a
window just to reach a plasmoid is not an option IMHO.

Andreas

--
Day of inquiry.  You will be subpoenaed.