kmix PulseAudio support

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jan 11 10:22:23 GMT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Martin Sandsmark at 10/01/10 15:26 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sunday 10. January 2010 15.39.44 Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> So it would be good to get a Phonon backend to do this for the non-PA
>> users, I still think the ultimate user experience will eventually be a
>> system with PA underneath with both Phonon and Kmix talking directly to
>> that layer. Obviously not everyone will agree but hey, this is what I'm
>> personally interested in improving :D
>
> Yes, we agree. :-)
>
> I guess what most people use it for is turning down the volume of Adobe Flash,
> which doesn't support the dbus interface. Yet. :-P
> But degrading gracefully from the PulseAudio per-app mixing to the Phonon one
> would be neat (or from the OSSv4 one, if/when someone does that), I think.
> Is this kind of runtime changing of backends doable in KMix?

Yeah this shouldn't be a big problem. At present there is a fixed order
and the first one wins unless the experimental "mutli driver" mode is
enabled (which it is by default).

It should be fairly trivial to implement a config option where the
backend is chosen by the user, but falls back to the builtin priorities
if they have the backend set to "autodetect" or similar.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie