kmix PulseAudio support

Martin Sandsmark sandsmark at samfundet.no
Sun Jan 10 15:26:40 GMT 2010

On Sunday 10. January 2010 15.39.44 Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Just to avoid confusion here, I'm not against a Phonon backend in kmix
> at all, but it doesn't avoid the need (IMO) for a direct PA one too.
>
> A phonon backend could only hope to control Phonon applications via this
> interface, where as a PA backend can control all audio applications.
> Obviously on a system where Phonon is the only audio library used, this
> is fine, but most of us have a healthy mix of KDE4 apps + others.
>
> So it would be good to get a Phonon backend to do this for the non-PA
> users, I still think the ultimate user experience will eventually be a
> system with PA underneath with both Phonon and Kmix talking directly to
> that layer. Obviously not everyone will agree but hey, this is what I'm
> personally interested in improving :D

Yes, we agree. :-)

I guess what most people use it for is turning down the volume of Adobe Flash,
which doesn't support the dbus interface. Yet. :-P
But degrading gracefully from the PulseAudio per-app mixing to the Phonon one
would be neat (or from the OSSv4 one, if/when someone does that), I think.
Is this kind of runtime changing of backends doable in KMix?

--
Martin T. Sandsmark