Dolphin change proposals

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 01:31:29 GMT 2010

I have a few things I would like to try to implement for dolphin, but
I before I get started I want to check to see whether people think
they are good ideas or not. They are (in no particular order):

Drag and drop support for the tab bar.  Currently dropping files on a
tab does nothing, which is inconsistent behavior.  The breadcrumb bar,
places panel, folders panel, and folders all bring up the "copy, move,
link" menu when you drop something on them, which is what I want to
have the tab bar do as well.

"+" button on groups (when groups are visible).  This would behave the
same as the + button on files and folders, allowing you to easily
select and de-select whole groups.

File count for groups.  This would just be a bit of text next to the
group name saying how many files are present in the group.

If there is no currently-selected file, and you are hovering over a
file, pressing "F2" will let you rename the file.

If you select multiple files of different types, then right-click it
will have an "open with default applications" or something like that,
and all the files will then be opened with their own default
application.

And maybe an actions panel, which show the "actions" right-click menu
in a dockable panel for easier access and improved visibility.

I would like some feedback on which these ideas (if any) people think
are good and should be implemented or if there are any suggestions.  I
can't guarantee that I will be able to implement any of these, but I
will at least try if people think they are worthwhile.

-Todd