kmix PulseAudio support

Christian Esken esken at kde.org
Wed Jan 6 19:09:17 GMT 2010

Am Mittwoch, 6. Januar 2010 13:16:53 schrieb Alexis Ménard:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Helio Chissini de Castro <helio at kde.org>
wrote:

Phonon integration is the way to go. Apps or App categories should show as
controls.

BTW: How does one activate the Phonone backend? I have never seen it in
action.

No, it doesn't happen for ALSA. Nor for OSS. Why should it?

Anyhow, this is a showstopper.

That is not good. Pulseaudio has always been a mess to me, usually it would
not work at all, haning applications (not only KMix).

> >> Thanks for keeping sanity for those whose setups don't work with
> >>  pulseaudio.

Like me. Don't activate PulseAudio by default. IMO that beast is a mess.

> +1 KMix is horrible to use and way behind what's KDE 4 provides as a
> user interface point of view.

I don't buy this flat statement. What is so horrible? Please indicate mixers
that are better usable.

> Unfortunately there is not that much
> contributors behind right?

I would be happy to see more, yes.

> > So i say, lets integrate for 4.4.x with minor modifications to enable
> > user decide to alsa x pulse mixer ( not using env var ), and in the

I agree with Sebastian, and say no. The amount of changes is just too much for
the already frozen 4.4.

> > sprint multimedia will be a ground zero point to new mixer interface and

What exactly do you mean with "new"?!?

You guys get me quite confused in this mail thread. Please do not say "it is
bad" or "lets change things" without indicating what you mean.

  Christian