critical regression or misconfiguration? Fallback to hicolor icons does not work

Pino Toscano pino at kde.org
Sat Jan 2 22:17:56 GMT 2010

Hi,

> On Mac OS X (1) KDE applications don't find their hicolor icons. The
> reason for this is that there is no "index.theme" inside $PREFIX/share/
> icons/hicolor. As soon as such a file is added (for testing I've just
> copied Oxygen's and changed the name) the fallback for missing oxygen
> icons work.

We ship kdebase/runtime/pics/hicolor/index.theme, which is properly installed
in $PREFIX/share/icons/hicolor.

Otherwise, there's the hicolor-icon-theme[1] freedesktop.org definition which
provides more or less the same file. (This is also what GNU/Linxu distros
ship, correctly preferring it to our local copy.)

> Is this a kde bug or do I miss an important dependency which installes
> an icons/hicolor/index.theme?
>
> (1) Using KDE libs and base-runtime 4.3.4 installed via macports. The
> application in question is Krusader from extragear/utils, also
> installed via macports.

It would appear some file not installed in such packages?

[1] http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/wiki/HicolorTheme

--
Pino Toscano