synaptiks – KDE touchpad management

Markus kamikazow at web.de
Thu Feb 25 11:52:01 GMT 2010

Hi.

As much as I like to have a touchpad config tool right inside KDE SC, I see
some problems with Sebastian's attitude on collaboration.

Last year he introduced Synapiks in a German Ubuntu forum:
http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/synaptiks/#post-2347771
That time it wasn't a System Settings module, but a tray application.
I suggested that to him that he should collaborate with the author of
kcm_touchpad to integrate the functionality that requires Sebastian's deamon
into it.
Half year later Sebastian introduced a new version that's now a KCM without
any evidence that he even tried to collaborate with Mishaaq (kcm_touchpad
author).
Being part of KDE SC means that any KDE member is allowed to modify synaptiks'
source code directly in SVN/GIT. Does this mean, he will -- for example --
revert all modifications by others and/or ignore any input from KDE's
Usability team, because "he knows better"?

Maybe I'm just overly sensitive here. I certainly don't want to exclude
anybody or anything from KDE. Maybe it's all a misunderstanding.
I'm just honestly puzzled whether Sebastian is aware of all consequences of
being KDE.

Any BTW, kcm_touchpad has a better rating than synaptiks on KDE-Apps.org.
I never compared those two (except looking at screenshots), but it seems to me
that kcm_touchpad is more advanced when it comes to scrolling options.
If the screenshots on KDE-Apps.org are not outdated, it seems more logical to
be to merge Mishaaq's KCM with Sebastian's deamon to get the best of both
worlds.

Markus