Re: synaptiks – KDE touchpad management

Ben Cooksley sourtooth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 04:34:46 GMT 2010

2010/2/25 Sebastian Wiesner <basti.wiesner at gmx.net>:
> Hello,
>
> I've written a KDE touchpad configuration and management application called
> synaptiks.  It provides a touchpad configuration page for system settings and a
> service, which "manages" the touchpad (switching the touchpad off on keyboard
> activity or if mouse devices are plugged).

Sounds awesome, that functionality ( especially the mouse devices
plugged one ) can be disabled on request right? I have a Logitech
mouse with one of those micro transmitters and just leave it plugged
in all the time, so I may not actually have a mouse.

> I've requested an svn account and imported it into KDE playground (see
> trunk/playground/utils/synaptiks).   I consider it mature and stable, and I'll
> move it to kdereview asap, but …
>
> … should this be included into KDE itself or not?  I mean, KDE doesn't have
> any touchpad configuration module yet, so I think, this is a nice addition.
> Any comments?

Something like this should definitely be included. Possibly you may
wish to consider integrating it with the Mouse KCM at some point, so
that both can benefit.

+1 From me, as both a laptop user and System Settings maintainer

> Thanks
> Sebastian Wiesner
>
> --
> Freedom is always the freedom of dissenters.
>                                      (Rosa Luxemburg)

Ben