Fixing krunner's threading

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 16:35:03 GMT 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On February 22, 2010, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
>> I decided against posting to plasma-devel for several reasons:
>
> although i'm fine with discussing the issue here or there, i'd recommend
> taking it to plasma-devel so as not to annoy people here who don't care about
> the code in krunner; this is why we have separate mailing lists in the first
> place :)
>
>> - While the problems come from plasma, they could possibly be solved in
>> other code
>
> and when we identify such code, we can bring it here if needed.
>
>> - Most technical experts are on k-c-d and not on plasma-devel, and multi-
>>   threading is a very technical topic. I'm not very good at it myself.
>
> when we have concrete technical issues, we can bring it here if needed.
>
> i just took a quick survey of the dozen or so people in the room here and it
> turns out that several plasma devs aren't on this list. so it works both ways
> ;)

I think that everybody who works on "core KDE" functionality
should be on this list because things discussed here often affect
~everything in KDE. But that's a different topic.

>> - This is a topic of general interest
>
> yes, threading, but topically it is about krunner
>
>> - I don't want to subscribe to yet another mailing list
>
> just tell us to keep you in the CC when you post this to plasma-devel and we
> will. this is not an excuse to host off-topic discussions on k-c-d.

Hm okay, I guess most people are better than me at not messing up
CC lists. I generally just post to the list ;)

> i'll wait for this to appear on plasma-devel and i'll take up the discussion
> there.

Okay. I'll wait until I have my mail problems sorted out (the line length
issues Ingo complained about are probably due to the GMail web interface)
and until Tokamak is over (I think you want to focus on big-picture stuff
currently, my timing was bad), so this is going to be in a few days.
Alternatively, if you think it's a good idea to bring this up during the
event, I'll go ahead and format my messages with kwrite or so ;)