Rekonq default

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sun Feb 21 12:27:35 GMT 2010

On 02/21/2010 12:23 PM, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> I fully agree with Aaron on this. I don't want a set of chef's knifes
> (each for its special purpose). I need a swiss army knife because of my
> way of working.

That's nice and all, but that Swiss army knife hasn't really
attracted a lot of developer attention lately. If Konqueror
is the advanced file manager in the SC, why isn't it a true
superset of Dolphin? It lacks things like Places integration
or Nepomuk integration. Meanwhile Dolphin has caught up on
features that used to be unique to Konqueror at first, like
support for tabs.

What if keeping Konqueror unchanged is causing it to bitrot
and die slowly? What if troops could be rallyed - and the
value that is there retained, and the brand retained - by
announcing a shift in focus to make it a web browser first
and foremost?

Like I said, it's a shitty situation to be in. By saying
that Konqueror's current design is immutable, it doesn't
seem to be moving forward or evolving anymore, perhaps be-
cause everyone is afraid to touch it at this point. So ta-
lented developers put their efforts elsewhere. If this
leads to Konqueror being replaced as KDE's default web
browser in the KDE SC eventually, I'm afraid that would
slow Konqueror development even more. It's as if the apps
biggest fans are its biggest enemy.

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein