Rekonq default

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Sat Feb 20 21:36:29 GMT 2010

On Saturday 20 February 2010 20:39:14 Andrea Diamantini wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm rekonq author and I'd like to share my thoughts and my intentions
> about.
>
> First of all, I'm planning to move rekonq project rights to kde-developers
> group after 0.4 release.
> I should have done it after 0.3 release, but following discussions in
> kde-scm ml, I argued it was "better" to wait. :)
> About the code copy in playground.. I'm sorry about that. It is due just to
> my lack of experience with git-svn, some problems with it and with the
> fact the some translators asked me about to start working on it.
>
> About the discussion on rekonq.. I'm really glad (and a bit astonished) of
> this thread. Frank is one of our best fans and he started saying about that
> from 0.0.x releases. I cannot believe he really did it!! :D

hehe. True.
I'm amazed by the speed you are moving rekonq forward. :-)

> It's quite obvious from my POV that rekonq is not "ready". While I'm
> thinking this 0.4 release can be really nice for an user searching a
> lightweight and clean browser (trying to be) well integrated with KDE
> technologies.

I agree with Aaron that there is a place for the swiss army knife browser
konqueror and for a more specialized browser like rekonq.

*ready* of course always depends on the personal viewpoint.
For me rekonq is already a great browser which I use every days. :-)

> About the features to come and the roadmap, please take a look at our
> (mini) page in Techbase (http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/rekonq/Roadmap)
>
> Designing this app I took some decisions to give it a bit of "personality"
> (no kparts, no menubar & no statusbar, so no xmlgui) and while these
> decisions may lead a bit to a lack of (automatic) integration, I seriously
> think people like us (also) because of these. Maybe I'm wrong, but reading
> comments and hints it's what I argued.
> Yes, some people say: I like your app and (spare compliments here) BUT you
> don't have a menubar: YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW KDE HIG.
> I cannot properly reply to this. I just can say: Sure? Chrome hasn't it,
> Windows 7 is removing it. And I really like this way.
> Moreover, we worked hard to let our context menus be really "contextual"
> and if I could add a shortcut to activate a kactionmenu (our tools menu)
> I'll be ok.
> I see some other KDE apps that could follow our "style" (eg: KGet. A
> download manager with a menubar? Really?!? Another example: Dragon player.
> its settings menu is perfect for a "rekonq style" solution.)
>
> Last thing, I never considered to become part of the main KDE branch. But
> thinking a bit about now, I'm a bit worried from the "fixed release times"
> (My English sucks, I know..). The "release early, release often" rule
> works in a fantastic way here. And to be completely honest, I think it can
> work well (read: better) for every app here but the kdelibs + kderuntime +
> kdebindings chain.

I can completely understand your point. But from a "KDE software compilation"
viewpoint a nice enduser friendly default browser is also a good thing.

When do you think rekonq is *ready* ?

Cheers
Frank

--