Help should fit in a 80 columns terminal

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Feb 6 21:14:40 GMT 2010

On Saturday 23 January 2010, Alain Portal wrote:
> Le samedi 23 janvier 2010 19:15:41, Pino Toscano a écrit :
> > > What do you think about this suggestion?
> >
> > More than that, I guess it would make more sense using the UNIX
> > terminal ioctl() API to get the size of the terminal, and
> > adapt/reflow the help text of the options to it.

+1

> I'm not sure this is a good solution as every "\n" character in the
> help string will indent the new line at the column 29, which is the
> best readable solution.

This won't change. I think you misunderstood Pino.

All '\n' characters should be removed from the help texts except for
those '\n' where we want to force a line break (e.g. to begin a new
paragraph). This is exactly how it works for HTML where you also don't
add <br>'s unless you have a good reason to do so.

The help texts would be word-wrapped automatically so that they fit the
width of the terminal. And, of course, new lines would be indented to
column 29.

Regards,
Ingo