About remove nfs filesharing support

Trever Fischer tdfischer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 29 00:55:26 GMT 2010

On Tuesday, December 28, 2010 07:45:09 pm Markus Slopianka wrote:
> Just for the  record: I'm totally in favor of removing NFS support.
> In its current form it's a security risk. root rights? No way!
> IIRC NFS is also no encrypted, making it easy to intercept file
> transmissions.
NFS can be encrypted with kerberos. Without kerberos, nfs is super easy to
configure. Samba is (often) a huge headache to configure compared to nfs, but is
a bit more secure.

Basically, quick, easy, and secure file sharing on Linux is broken. An
alternative is needed, but I'm against removing NFS features.