warning about kde component run-time dependencies

Andriy Rysin arysin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 05:07:25 BST 2010

2010/8/29 John Layt <johnlayt at googlemail.com>

>  On Thursday 26 August 2010 04:21:29 Andriy Rysin wrote:
>
> > kcm_keyboard in 4.5 has new _run-time_ dependency on iso-codes, otherwise
>
> > the language combo in 'add layout' dialog will show codes instead of
>
> > (translated) language names.
>
> > The question: is there a good/standard way to tell packagers about this
>
> > dependency?
>

> > Shall it be a check with warning in CMakeLists.txt to warn at compile
> time
>
> > or is there something better?
>

> > Thanks
>
> > Andriy
>
> Ooooh, I'm wanting to introduce a runtime dependency on isocodes for
> kdelibs for Country Regions and Currency Codes, so that will make life
> easier if you have it all worked out :-) I'll have a look and see if we can
> share code. I assume this works cross-platform on Windows and Mac too?

Hi John

that would be great if this can be moved/refactored into kdelibs. I think
iso-codes integration will be quite useful to a lot of KDE software so
kdelibs (I guess somewhere around KLocale classes) would be a good place for
it.
I was originally planning to write generic code so it should be fairly easy
to move it, though I did not spend too much time polishing it as I had big
kxkb refactoring ahead of me at that point so currently there's one common
IsoCodes class that I am using for showing languages in kcm_keyboard.

And I don't see why it wouldn't work on other platforms.

Let me know if you want to talk about it more.

Thanks,
Andriy