Move kppp away from kdenetwork

Eckhart Wörner ewoerner at kde.org
Mon Aug 16 01:32:46 BST 2010

Hi Albert,

maybe I should explain myself more.

Am Sonntag, 15. August 2010, 22:55:00 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> Unless you have data saying it doesn't work, what's the reason of removing
> something someone might be using, remember KDE is used my millions of
> people.

in the last years, especially with the first release of the 4 series, we
removed a lot of things people were actually using. Remember, KDE Software is
used by millions of people, so every feature is used by someone, therefore
this argument shouldn't count. ;-)

Now, first I want to remind you that I didn't ask to delete the software
permanently. With revision control, this would be difficult. ;-) I just stated
the fact that kppp is totally unmaintained, and got little love in the last
few years, i.e. basically it is bit-rotting. I also think maintaining kppp is
quite tedious, so it's unlikely a lot of people will step up for its
maintainership (ever wondered how many of those provider files are outdated?)
Putting it into the unmaintained corner of svn would therefore only be stating
the obvious. Maybe someone then gets compelled to revive kppp, which alone
would make this proposal a success. :-)

Now why am I against keeping kppp in the KDE Software Compilation? I believe
this compilation shouldn't be a random assortment of things, but form a
coherent experience. With our 4.5 release, we bundled great networking for the
first time. Next to that, kppp looks totally out of place: it uses a different
UI, it doesn't work well together with the remaining networking (try sharing
your dial-up connection via wireless, try IPv6, try disabling networking
completely...).

Furthermore, in my eyes the Software Compilation consists of software that
most people would find useful in their day-to-day desktop experience -
essential things like a mail program or mini-games. Now at the time of writing
kppp, it certainly belonged into that category, however, time changed things,
and today I don't believe kppp belongs to that category anymore.

Another way of detecting what belongs into the Software Compilation is to see
what other people think of this. For this reason I asked a bit in IRC
yesterday, and found out that the FreeBSD packagers don't even package kppp
anymore - probably a sign that they think about this the same way I do.

In fact, I'm a bit surprised by unambiguity of the reactions on my mail: all
the people I asked about this for the last few months agreed to this point of
view. (Please don't take this as an argument, it was merely too check whether
my proposal looked sane to other people.)

Hopefully this makes things clearer.

Eckhart