Improving Dr Konqi for developers

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Tue Aug 10 10:02:58 BST 2010

On Mon, August 9, 2010 1:50 pm, George Kiagiadakis wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
>> 1) "jump to crash" button or similar. Dr Konqi is nice enough to insert
>> [KCrash handler] in the BT, but so far I have to navigate there
>> manually. Why
>> not make that faster?
>
> That would be useful, I have thought about that as well.

Why not apply an initial scroll to the backtrace so that the crash is
shown at the top when first displayed? That would avoid the need for a new
button. My guess is that most developers will initially want to see the
crash first anyway, so it would also save one button click/scroll action
when it first displays. If somebody wants to see the backtrace from the
top (as it is shown currently), it's easy to manually scroll to the top.

>> 2) "jump to thread" combobox or similar, see above, jumping to Thread X
>> is sometimes also nice.
>
> Maybe, but I don't find much value in this feature, plus that extra
> buttons will clutter the UI even more.

I agree.

>> 3) open file, when hovering a URL I'd sometimes like to open that one
>> quickly,
>> just like e.g. Konsole offers me to.
>
> Are there URLs in the backtrace?

I also am puzzled by the mention of URLs in the backtrace.

>> 4) syntax highlighting. Ok well, you guys know me from Kate/KDevelop,
>> I'm a
>> color whore and think it would make it easier to grasp a few things. I
>> won't
>> embed Katepart of course, but QSyntaxHighlighter should be enough for
>> the simple GDB backtrace format.
>
> That would be cool.

Colour whores are great! +1

--