RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 15:10:30 BST 2010

On Sunday 01 August 2010 14:27:05 Josef Spillner wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 1. August 2010, 14:03:39 schrieb Dario Freddi:
> > Opinions?
>
> Looks like most suggestions and comments (like mine and the one by
> JohnFlux) would be mostly covered by your "compromise". It allows for both
> the "mechanism vs. policy" paradigm and the "inversion of control"
> paradigm where applications can suggest certain actions to be performed
> but eventually another component will perform them. Independently from the
> actual implementation, I think such a system can only work safely when it
> honours these two paradigms.

Great, that's nice news.

> Are alternative actions to directly installing packages (like just showing
> an informational page instead) part of Shaman or would this be another
> layer on top of it?

Of course, Shaman is already capable of doing that.

> Given the complexity and contestability of the topic, perhaps you should
> start a techbase proposal page with some diagrams before hacking on it.

Sure, although most of Shaman internals are ready and working (need testing
though). I will do in 2-3 weeks, when I'll be fully back, and possibly on a
reliable connection. I'd really like to see this feature coming through a
collective contribution.

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer