New dependency for kdelibs and kdebase: dbusmenu-qt

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Apr 29 16:03:47 BST 2010

On April 28, 2010, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> It breaks applications such as KNetworkManager which depend on drawing
> the menu themselves. To fix it, if a QMenu has a widget inserted into
> it then the pre-dbusmenu-qt code path needs to be used....

we discussed this issue quite early on in the design phase. the conclusions
were:

* if need be, such apps could continue to use the non-dbus-menu route (though
at the expense of consistency and integration). there's a "hack" in the code
that allows this to happen

* knetworkmanager4 is really abusing the notion of a menu when it comes to the
system tray (this is one of the things that we are working hard to get away
from, actually, with all the system tray work)

* the network manager plasmoid is set to replace the system tray app which
uses not a menu but a proper widget

i welcome you to join us in working on plasma so you can be involved in these
discussions when they happen instead of having to catch up after the fact.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se