New dependency for kdelibs and kdebase: dbusmenu-qt

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Apr 29 07:19:46 BST 2010

On 29.04.10 01:07:51, Markus wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 28 April 2010 18:08:19 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
>
> > Yes this hasn't been done the proper way (no buildsystem review, no proper
> > testing on more than a single system, no announcements before comitting
> > it) and people should really start to read and adhere to kdelibs policies,
> > but at least for this one its too late now.
>
> Dude, seriously.
> Aurélien announced the first progress last December or so.
> The code was uploaded to ReviewBoard a week ago
> <http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/3787/> and posted to core-devel and plasma-devel
> (see the Groups field in the review if you don't believe me).

I know, I recall seeing a review-request. But there was no sign that
this is going live and when this is going live _before_ the commit. The
point is not that nobody knew this was coming, I'm 100% sure the people
that are working in the area knew it was. The problem is nobody else
did. Putting a review-request on core-devel/plasma-devel is _not_ enough
to announce a new dependency. Let alone that its unclear when its going
to hit trunk.

And the review-request wasn't posted to the buildsystem list at all,
which is a requirement before introducing new, especially installed,
cmake files.

> He knows his way within KDE and did nothing wrong.

Apparantly he doesn't know everything thats relevant when comitting code
to kdelibs, in particular when introducing new dependencies. And yes he
did something wrong.

> Patches
> were posted to review on ReviewBoard. He got clearance to commit them. He did.
> What else would you expect? A personal invitation to everyone remotely
> involved via snail mail? *shakes head*

See above, just a review-request is _not_ enough. People that don't have
a clue about that stuff will not look at it, but they will certainly
want to know _before_ that a new dependency is going in.

> BTW: Aurélien is now on holiday and can't answer you before may according to
> an email of his.

Which is not really nice either.

Andreas

--
Don't you wish you had more energy... or less ambition?